A Full Day Institute with Dr. Susan Hopkins, Executive Director of Stuart Shanker's organization, the MFHRIT Centre (TMC)
Morning Workshop - Self Regulation and the Early Years
It has been shown that a child’s early years are a crucial time for brain development. During this period, young children are confronted with unique stressors across all five domains of the Shanker Self-Reg® model.
This presentation looks specifically at the early years through the lens of self-regulation, stress and early relationships, and how Self-Reg® can help children deal successfully with these challenges and begin to learn how to manage these new stresses on their own.
• The role of relationships in early brain, emotional and social development
• Co-regulation: the foundation for self-regulation
• The Interbrain: nature’s "bluetooth" hook-up that connects a young child’s brain to a parent’s
• The meaning of safe for babies, toddlers and preschoolers
• Stressors (including hidden stressors) that affect young children
• Self-Reg® strategies that reduce young children’s stress and foster healthy relationships
Afternoon Workshop - Looking at Resilience Through a Self-Reg® Lens
Many educators and mental health professionals share the idea that resilience is a key component of children’s mental health and optimal functioning. The question is, can we build resilience in our children, and if so how? This presentation looks at the connection between resilience and self-regulation and how Self-Reg® strategies can be used to protect and enhance resilience in children.
• Brief introduction to Shanker Self-Reg®
• Definition of resilience and research into resilience
• How resilience overlaps with Self-Reg®
• The role of stress awareness in resilience
• Self-Reg® strategies that enhance resilience by improving stress awareness and management
8:30am - Registration and Light Breakfast
9:00am - Morning Workshop
12:00pm - Lunch and Networking
1:00 pm - Afternoon Workshop
Registration fee includes continental breakfast, lunch, and attendance at both workshops.
Event Registration and Ticketing Powered by Event Espresso